If you missed Ohio State’s comprehensive greenhouse strawberry production course earlier this year, now’s your chance. But don’t delay. In response to popular demand, OSU’s Indoor Berry team, anchored by Dr. Chieri Kubota and Mark Kroggel, is offering the Controlled Environment Agriculture (CEA) course again. But the enrollment deadline is August 31, 2023.
The self-paced course will consist of six previously recorded 30-minute lectures covering basics of strawberry physiology and production practices in greenhouses, plus an interactive LIVE discussion session with instructors. Lecture topics include:
- Lecture 1: Introduction to greenhouse strawberry production and cultivars (Kubota)
- Lecture 2: Transplants and basic flowering response (Kubota)
- Lecture 3: Crop scheduling, planting date and ending dates (Kubota)
- Lecture 4: Nutrient solutions, substrates and rootzone management (Kroggel)
- Lecture 5: Environmental conditions and benchmark yields (Kubota)
- Lecture 6: IPM basics and environmental disorders (Kroggel)
The OSU team says the course is most suited to people new to controlled environment agriculture and interested in strawberry production under protected cultivation conditions. Demand for a second round of this course is one more sign that interest in CEA strawberry research and production practices continues to grow.
You’ll have two weeks — September 1st to 14th — to complete all six lectures and quizzes. Then students will be treated to an interactive LIVE two-hour discussion session with instructors on September 15th, 2023. Multiple live sessions will be scheduled to accommodate students’ availability and time zones.
REGISTER now at: Greenhouse Strawberry School Online (Sept. 2023)
Course fee: $85 per person
Deadline to Enroll: August 31st, 2023
Live Discussion Sessions: September 15th, 2023 (times to be announced)
Access to course materials: September 1st, 2023 – September 30th, 2023